December 5th, 2011 8:28 AM by
Buying a home should be fun, not stressful. But as most of you know… this is not always the case! Here are some tips to keep in mind as you look for your next home in the Charleston JointBase area……
1. Find an agent you actually want to spend your weekends with!Home buying is not only a big financial commitment, but also an emotional one. Looking for a home can be a long process….and often involves many weekends spent side by side with your agent. Wouldn’t you rather spend this time with someone you actually like? If you groan every time your agent’s number shows up on called ID – then you have the wrong agent!
2. Everyone you know doesn’t need to like the house!It’s natural to want lots of reassurance for such a big decision….but you know what they say about opinions! The ONLY opinion that truly matters is YOURS! Only you know the wants and needs of your Charleston military family – not your neighbor, or your boss, or even dear old Mom……
3. Understand that your dream home may not be perfect!Perfect location but hate the shag carpet? Dream kitchen except for the pink floral wallpaper? Great school district but not crazy about the landscaping? Don’t despair….. Just figure out what your top priorities are and go for the things that are most important to you. Don’t sweatthe small stuff!
4. Do you want the house or the last word? Negotiation is definitely part of buying a home, but trying to “win” by getting an extra-low price or by refusing to budge on your offer may cost you the home you love. You don’t need to be Gordon Gekko…..you need to be smart and logical and know when to say YES!
5. Plan accordingly!Don’t wait until you’ve found your dream home to get approved for a mortgage. Getting pre-approved for a home mortgage should be the FIRST thing you do when you’re ready to buy a home in Charleston…..Would you fill up your cart with groceries and wait until the check out line to figure out how much you can afford? And how you’re going to pay? I think not!
Bottom Line – Buying a home is a wonderful thing! Whether you’re a property virgin or an old pro, there’s nothing that compares to the feeling of finding the right home for you and your family. So keep that chin up! Remember to enjoy it!