June 26th, 2009 4:33 PM by Jodie Ford
HAP Updates Good News for
Charleston AFB Real Estate
HAP is now available to Charleston AFB personnel who must relocate beyond commuting distance of Charleston AFB, SC. This means anyone PCSing beyond a reasonable commuting distance from their home in Charleston, SC can apply!
The following are general program eligibility requirements:
· Applicants for the program must be a military member, including Coast Guard, or federal civilian or Non-Appropriated Fund employee assigned at or near the installation announced for realignment or closure. Applicants must also be the owner-occupant on the date of the announcement.
· Personnel transferred or terminated within six months prior to the announcement of the realignment or closure who were owner-occupants at the time of transfer.
· Civilian and military personnel on an overseas tour who transferred within 3 years prior to the announcement of the realignment or closure and who are homeowners in the area.
· Civilian employee homeowners on an overseas tour with reemployment rights in the area affected by the realignment or closure.
· A military member homeowner ordered into on-post housing within six months prior to the announcement of the realignment or closure.
Benefits available through Charleston AFB HAP
The program provides assistance to eligible applicants in three ways:
Ø The Government may purchase applicants homes by paying off the balance of any mortgage existing at the time of the announcement, or for 75% of the fair market value prior to the announcement, whichever is higher. If the amount an applicant owes on the mortgage is less than 75% of the prior fair market value, the applicant may be paid the difference.
Ø The HAP Resale Program sells properties acquired through the HAP to re-coup costs to fund future programs. Applicants who are able to sell their homes may be reimbursed for part of their losses or paid at the time of closing in some cases.
Ø Finally, applicants who defaulted on their mortgage through foreclosure may receive assistance.
Applicants are liable for taxes on any benefits received through HAP.
Point of Contact for Charleston AFB HAP Benefits
U.S. Army Engineer District, SavannahHomeowners Assistance Program Attn: RE-RHP.O. Box 889Savannah, GA 31402-0889Toll Free Telephone Numbers: 800-861-8144Commercial Telephone Numbers: 912-652-5563912-652-5580For more information visit:
Charleston Air Force Base, SC Real Estate For Sale - Jodie Hurt
I specialize in helping military families enjoy a smooth PCS in and out of Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina. I have a passion for helping people, and I love what I do. Call me (843) 819-4398 and let me make this the easiest PCS yet!